Up to NSSC 2009: Photos
Photos: NSSC 2009: Round 1
Click on contact sheet photos to see larger, edited versions.
Click on the following phrase to see all photos in one page.
Huge original files may be available upon e-mailed request.
- Event annotators, Sam Rosin and Gregg Foster, are parked at their laptops, ready to transmit the play by play of table 1 throughout the event. Buckingham Browne & Nichols Lower School (MA) waits for Lexington Montessori School #3 (MA) to arrive at the table.
- Our Lady of Victory Baltimore #2 (MD).
- Coach Kathy Hummel wishes Hampton Bays Middle School #1 (NY) good luck.
- A view from the far end of the playing room looking toward the podium.
- The NSA's Jane R. Williams and committee member Joel Sherman.
- Coach Stan Williams and family members stand by Philly ASAP #1 (PA). Their opponents: Sage School #3 (MA).
- A future NSSC player takes a stroll down the aisle.
- Sage School #2 (MA).
- Windham Middle School #1 (NH).
- Coaches and parents watching the event online, before it even starts, from the sides of the room!
- Conor from Glenfield Middle School (NJ), centering his concentration.
- Sage School #2 (MA) with their lucky peeps!
- Joe Edley, Patty Hocker, and Jane R. Williams in front of the stage. Director Ben Greenwood and John D. Williams, Jr., on the stage.
- Three Merriam-Webster SCRABBLE dictionaries. The middle one is used in adult competitive play. The other two are the official dictionaries for all School SCRABBLE tournaments.
- NSSC 2009 Director Ben Greenwood.
- National SCRABBLE Association's Executive Director, John D. Williams, Jr., welcomes the players.
- Gregg Foster and John Chew confer on annotation software on stage. Donna Paul, Annette Bailey, and NSA's Megan Mills in referee shirts in the foreground.
- Zyzzyva station.
- Ben Greenwood, John D. Williams, Jr., and John Chew on stage. Joe Edley, Christine Economos, Joel Sherman, Donna Paul, Annette Bailey, and Meghan Mills stand in front of stage.
- John D. Williams, Jr., holds up the autographed O'Neal jersey.
- John D. Williams, Jr., reads the letter of welcoming from President Obama to the students.
- Plymouth South Middle School #2 (MA).
- Director Ben Greenwood.
- Lexington Montessori School #3 (MA), annotated by Sam Rosin, and Buckingham Browne & Nichols Lower School (MA), annotated by Gregg Foster.
- Annotation laptops as seen from the other side. Both annotators also keep track of the game on paper in case the net connectivity is sporadic. When it returns, they can catch the game up online.
- Buckingham Browne & Nichols Lower School (MA) confers on a play.
- Belzer Middle School (IN) contemplates a play versus Bay Area Youth SCRABBLE #2 (CA).
- St. John Lutheran School #2 (IN) puts down a play.
- TYCOONS! Nice!
- Salem Elementary #2 (NC) and Our Lady of Victory Baltimore #2 (MD) at challenge machine. DET* was ruled unacceptable.
- Our Lady of Victory Baltimore #2 (MD) draws new tiles.
- Braintree Elementary School #1 (VT) concentrating on play vs. Salem Elementary #1 (NC).
- Salem Elementary #1 (NC) recounts their opponents play and tells them the correct score.
- Seawell Elementary School (NC) plays ENTIRES for 73 in their game with Perry Elementary (PA).
- Riley Fink of Perry Elementary (PA), uses her own tracking sheet, complete with encouraging comment!
- Our Lady of Victory Baltimore #4 (MD) keeps their strategies secret.
- Armuchee Elementary School #3 (GA) has a rack that demonstrates "vowelistis:" EEIIUUL.
- North Clay Jr. High Team White (IL) puts down a play.
- Midgame shot of a Lexington MA SCRABBLE Club #108 (MA) vs. Windham Middle School #2 (NH) board. STRONGER for 59 and SLaNTED for 81 have already gone down.
- A midgame look at Janney Elementary School #1 (DC) vs. Chappaqua School SCRABBLE Club (NY). It is 192-202 and Janney has just played RAIsERS/ARTs for 69.
- Janney Elementary School #1 (DC) vs. Chappaqua School SCRABBLE Club (NY).
- Dynamic brother & sister duo: Matthew & Emily of Town of DeWitt School SCRABBLE (NY). They had just played ReTAINED for 64!
- Floyd T. Binns Middle School #1 (VA) contentrating on their next play.
- Floyd T. Binns Middle School #1 (VA) and Randolph Middle School (NC) at the challenge machine. The play CIGAR/RO* was challenged off. CIGAR is good, but the hook, RO*, wasn't!
- A big win: 503-289 for Seawell Elementary School (NC). They played HEAVIER for 73, STRANGE for 81, ENTIRES for 73, and REGINAL for 74. Their coach, David Klionsky, was as excited as I was!
- Annette Bailey collects the endgame result slip for Carlisle SCRABBLE Team (MA) vs. Lexington Montessori School #1 (MA). Team numbers, names, scores, and high-scoring plays were confirmed before the result slip was initialed and handed in.
- A great game! Lexington Montessori School #1 (MA) vs. Carlisle SCRABBLE Team (MA), 421-382 win for the Lexington team. hERRING and SLINKER* were the Lexington plays and DRAFTInG and NUMBERS were Carlisle's bingos.
- Counting on fingers for emphasis: Mount Pleasant Christian School #1 (MD) vs. Western Hills Middle School (RI).
- Western Hills Middle School (RI) and their game-winning blue hair streaks!
- Randolph Middle School (NC) vs. Floyd T. Binns Middle School #1 (VA).
- Pretty SCRABBLE tile earring! Katie Hutcheson (H is for Hutcheson!) of Our Lady of Victory Baltimore #2 (MD).
- Princeton Day School (NJ) vs. Armuchee Elementary School #1 (GA).